Deans organize campus run

The next run will take place on Oct. 15 at 7 a.m.

Ever since the cross-country team was disbanded last year, St. Edward’s University has yet to come up with a true alternative for an on-campus running group. This year, Assistant Dean of Students Connie Rey Rodriguez and Associate Dean of Students Nicole Trevino are providing opportunities for runners on campus. 

Every third Thursday of the month at 7 a.m., student runners can gather outside the Main Building to “Run with the Deans.”

Although this running program is not a true alternative to the cross-country team, it is a way to bring together those who love to run while also giving students the opportunity to interact.

Rodriguez, one of the program’s founders, began the group for a number of reasons. “As student-staff administrators, we value the opportunity to connect with students,” Rodriguez said. “Some of the staff in our office enjoy running and thought this would be a good opportunity to meet new students who share a similar interest.”

Rodriguez said she believes that a small running program on campus will allow students to connect with each other and help get the word out that the university’s goal is to ultimately serve them. 

“Developing relationships and building community are two ways we serve the student community,” Rodriguez said. “The more the students know who we are and how we can support them during their college experience, the more likely they will be to take advantage of the support and services we offer.”

Seven students participated in September’s run, but Rodriguez and Trevino are still optimistic that more students will join.

“We anticipate the numbers to increase when more students learn about this program,” Rodriguez said. “[Even] if a student is not interested in running, they can visit with other St. Edward’s students and staff at the end of the run.”

The next two runs are scheduled for October 15 and November 19 at 7 a.m.  For more information, contact the Dean of Students office at 448-8408 or drop by their office in Main Building 108.