Stuck at St. Edward’s for Thanksgiving Break? Here are 6 ways to keep busy

St. Edward’s campus’ quiet before the storm of finals in the next coming weeks.

If you couldn’t make it home for the holiday, here are six ways to keep busy on and around campus during Thanksgiving break. 

Thanksgiving Lunch at Casa Hall

For Thanksgiving Day, Residence Life will be hosting a Thanksgiving lunch in Casa Hall at 2 p.m. If you RSVP’d beforehand, you will be able to enjoy a feast surrounded by fellow Hilltoppers. If not, still make the walk over to enjoy the holiday with company, conversation and Thanksgiving-themed games.

Hike through the St. Edward’s Trail

With Thanksgiving break temperatures ranging from mid-60s to upper 70s, take advantage of lovely weather and reflect on the semester so far by being one with nature at the St. Edward’s Trail right next to campus. Grab a buddy, put on your warmest hoodie and hiking shoes and make the most of the trail conveniently close to campus.

ThunderCloud Subs Turkey Trot

On Thanksgiving morning, ThunderCloud Subs will be hosting their annual Turkey Trot. Plan your transportation to arrive at The Long Center during various running and walking times to participate in the run benefits Caritas of Austin. If you take a ride share with Ride Austin (the Turkey Trot event partner), use the code turkey17 to donate $3 to Caritas. More information here.  

Scope Out Black Friday Deals

After your Thanksgiving feast, take some time to research and prep for the highly anticipated day of deals, Black Friday. Check out deals offered by Barton Creek Square and The Domain. If you don’t have a car, walk down South Congress to check out deals at the beloved whimsical shops. Here are some helpful links for deals at The Domain and Barton Creek Squaure.

City-Wide Garage Sale at Palmer Events Center

After indulging in Black Friday shopping, use the rest of your spending money at the City-Wide Garage Sale at the Palmer Events Center 2.4 miles away from campus on Saturday, Nov. 25. This famous, local vintage market has been around since 1977 for Austinites to collect hard-to-find goods. More information on vendors here.

Catch up on work at the New Central Library

If you haven’t gone to the New Central Library on Cesar Chavez Street since its grand opening in October, now is the time to check it out. Make a change from your on-campus study spots and align your transportation to head over to the 198,000-square-foot, six story building 2.9 miles away from campus. Hours and information here