New recruits expected to revamp basketball team

Last year, the St. Edward’s men’s basketball team competed with three freshman in the starting lineup for most of  the season. Although the roster had five seniors, including one in the starting lineup who was the leading scorer, the Hilltoppers depended on some of the younger, talented players to provide the scoring and the veteran players to provide the experience and leadership.

Now that the five seniors are gone, this year’s roster is filled with a variety of young, talented players. Sophomore guard Ramir Burton,  the team’s second leading scorer last season, is faced with a bigger role this season. 

“A lot of us younger guys that were freshmen last year have to step up our leadership role now that most of the older guys are gone,” Burton said.

Although young, the Hilltoppers still have experienced players on the roster. Redshirt junior guard Frankie Mgbolu and senior center Harley Nussman are two remaining starters that will provide leadership roles on the offensive and defensive ends of the floor. Also, the Hilltoppers are looking forward to getting back junior forwards Trey Lindsey and Quintin Lilley to provide big leadership roles.  

The Hilltoppers will also rely on five new recruits to help provide an extra spark. Freshman guard Sean Watkins is capable of becoming the backup point guard with his ability to operate the offense and score. Freshman wings, Alex Doche and Aubrie King, will also look to provide good quality shooting alongside returning wings John Gramlich and Zach Ghormley. As for the bigs, the Hilltoppers bring in freshman forward James Taylor and sophomore junior college transfer Sam Osina. Both recruits will look to provide offensive and defensive help.

“I believe that all of the young guys are going to do big things this year,” team captain Frankie Mgbolu said. “They all had a year to mature physically and mentally which is going to help them when it comes to mentoring the new freshman class.”  

With the Hilltoppers going from having five seniors last season to just one this season, head coach Andre Cook is confident enough in his young talent to win games this season.

“I’m excited about our new guys,” Cook said. “We felt we really needed to follow a very successful class last year with another one this year and I think we  accomplished that.” 

As for last year’s freshmen, Cook expects bigger and better things from them this upcoming season. 

“I expect a big leap forward from our sophomores Ramir, Ethan, and John,” Cook said. “They had some tough times last year, but they also had a lot of great moments. They have all worked hard over the summer and I expect them to take tremendous strides and have great sophomore campaigns for us.”