Topper Trends: Back-to-school style

As temperatures reach the high 90s and the summer heat becomes almost unbearable, comfort is always a factor when choosing an outfit to wear.

St. Edward’s University students have definitely been keeping that in mind, coming back to campus in comfortable classics.

Collared shirts, loose fitting dresses, basic colors and sneakers are just some of the trends seen around that students are wearing to stay cool, comfortable and in-style.

Rachael Hyde, pictured, a sophomore Digital Media Management major, looks effortlessly stylish in a thrift denim skirt and neutral colored top from Forever 21. Hyde pairs her outfit with a statement watch from Fossil. She also stays comfortable walking to and from class in classic white Converse sneakers.

“My everyday style is basic, but tweaked. My closet is full of basic, neutral clothes, but I always try to take a twist on how people usually wear it,” Hyde said.

It is not surprising that many students at St. Edward’s University add a quirky twist to their style, being a microcosm of a city that is so famous for keeping it “weird.” 

“Austin has definitely impacted the way I dress! Everyone here in this city dresses very well and tries to stand out from what’s typical. It’s so different to what I grew up in,” Hyde said.

Being a college student also means having a college budget. Hyde proves that it is possible to look great without breaking the bank. 

“Goodwill and I are now good friends,” Hyde joked.

In the photo pictured, senior Communication major, John Sjoberg, looks classic and cool in a plaid collared shirt from Brooks Brothers and khaki shorts from J. Crew. Sjoberg also stays practical by teaming his outfit with some Sperry sneakers.

Sjoberg, an Austin native, describes his style as comfortable.

“Comfort is really important to me when I dress. I am from Austin, so I think that my style gets some influence from that,” Sjoberg said.

Follow Jessica on Twitter @jessicagohardo