Conservative views needed for balanced debate

Every week the editorial board reflects on a current issue in Our View. The position taken does not reflect the opinions of everyone on the Hilltop Views staff.

Many would agree that St. Edward’s University is a school dominated by liberal leaning students despite the school’s firm foundation in Catholicism. While liberal students at a university is not a shocker or problem, the fact that conservative students seem to be reluctant to talk about their political ideology is.

They should not have to hide their beliefs because they think that liberal students will vilify them. 

Conservative students should embrace their politics, and be proud of who they are just like their counterparts. If conservatives are not out around campus talking about their cause or advocating for their beliefs, like College Democrats, then the community at large hurts. Politics cannot be a one-sided debate; there must be two sides fighting for what they believe. 

While there is a Young Conservative group on campus, it is currently an inactive club. Conservatives need their voices to be heard.

How this current situation was created is unknown, but that cannot deter us from trying to create a balanced political conversation at St. Edward’s. 

It is surprising, though, that it would happen in Texas, one of the more conservative states in the union. 

Just because the liberal perspective seems to be the dominate ideology on campus does not mean it is the only viewpoint presented. 

The majority voice is not necessarily the best or only point of view.

Liberals should not stifle conservative views, regardless if it is intentional or not. Instead they should actively welcome the chance to debate with a real opponent. Without a balanced political discussion students will become ignorant and complacent. 

This lack of conservative voices at St. Edward’s extends to Hilltop Views. We’ve been criticized in Viewpoints for only presenting liberal views. This is not our fault.

Recently, we introduced a new feature called “Face Off” where two writers with opposing stances on an issue fight for their opinion. 

It was created in response to criticisms about the lack of variety of opinions. This is just one step to have more opinions in the Viewpoints section, but we cannot do it by ourselves.

We need more conservative students to stand up and write for Hilltop Views. 

It would be to everyone’s benefit for a variety of opinions to be featured in the Viewpoints section.

We encourage conservative students to come to our budget meetings every Monday at 5 p.m. in Moody 306 and take a story. 

Embrace your conservatism, and proclaim it through the power of the press.