Local chicken trailer garners national attention

Calling all fried chicken and TV enthusiasts: another Austin institution is in the spotlight as “Food Paradise,” a series on the Travel Channel, will be filming at Ms P’s Electric Cock food trailer Feb. 28. Located at 1101 South Congress Ave., Ms P’s Electric Cock is known for its fried chicken, truffled macaroni and cheese and eccentric signage.

Perry Ray, founder of Ms P’s, opened the trailer in 2010 determined to give Austin the “best fried chicken” using all natural, local ingredients coupled with her passion for good food. The refurbished 1951 Spartan Imperial Mansion trailer, named after a band, is getting national press for its southern style fare. This TV appearance will be Ms P’s fourth after being on Eat Street, a Canadian-based TV show, and twice on Fast Foodies within the last two years.

When asked how she responded to national press, Ray says she continues to be shocked.

“My first reaction was ‘shut the front door,’” Ray said. “It makes me so happy.”

Ray will show the camera crew her chicken frying process which includes a two-step brining process, fresh herbs and 12 spices that separates her fried chicken from the rest. She also hopes to spotlight other menu items that are equally one-of-a-kind.

“My soco slaw, black eyed peas, and truffle mac and cheese add to the whole chicken experience,” Ray said. “I wouldn’t serve my chicken without them.”

Some St. Edward’s University students are familiar with Ms P’s chicken. The trailer’s close proximity to campus and late business hours make Ms P’s an option for curing fried chicken cravings.

Senior Josh Saenz eats at Ms P’s whenever he gets the chance. “It’s perfect everytime. My favorite is the chicken and waffles on a Sunday afternoon,” Saenz said. “I love the convenience to campus, too.”

Senior Brittany Reyes is pleased to hear a local business is getting media attention.

“I think students should go because the food trailer is unique to Austin culture and it’s important for people to support local businesses,” Reyes said. “I would go with a group of people.”

Fridays are usually busy for Ms P’s, but Ray worries the volatile weather recently may prevent a large crowd from showing for the filming.

“I depend on foot traffic, so my business can be at the mercy of the weather sometimes,” Ray said.

Filming for Food Paradise will begin at noon and last until midnight. The filming crew has asked for students to stop by during this time to enjoy Ms P’s chicken and have the opportunity to give their opinion on camera.