Honor society recognizes, connects high-achieving freshmen

The Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society recently asked 139 academically  high-performing freshmen to join the society and attend the induction.

To be eligible for an invitation, a student must maintain a GPA of at least 3.5 and be in the top 20 percent of their class during their first year. 

Although the society has just recently been started here at St. Edward’s University, it was established at the University of Illinois in 1924.

Previously, the society had been exclusively for women and partnered with a society that was for men. The two societies  were united during the ‘70s in response to Title IX. 

Now, there are currently 850,000 initiated members.

“We were hearing some anecdotal evidence that  hard working people who didn’t feel they could interact with others  who were like minded and we wanted to offer opportunities for them to thrive,” said Caroline Morris, Director of Fellowships.

Today, there are 270 chapters in operation. The society offers a range of scholarships and fellowships for outstanding members,  such as scholarships for studying abroad or those pursuing higher degrees.

“This society really opens the door for students to apply for future financial scholarships and fellowships that they  may not have been eligible for otherwise,” said Jason Delarosa,  academic advisor.

Delarosa and Morris serve as chapter president and chapter advisor respectively.

“We wanted to recognize high-achieving students in their first year and create a community for them. We affiliated with  the strongest, and oldest freshman honor society in the country,”  Morris said.

Morris was aware of the organization at the university she previously worked at. Alpha Lambda Delta is a feature of most major universities, and is a strong society.

The future of the organization will rest in the  hands of the soon to be inducted members. 

They will go through a series of workshops called Personal Strategic Planning for College in which they will plan for their own futures and contemplate what they believe to be societal ills. From there, the hope is that groups will form and  service project ideas will stem from this.

“Alpha Lambda Delta’s mission is to encourage superior academic achievement among students in their first year, to promote intelligent living and a continued high standard of learning, and to assist students in recognizing and developing meaningful goals for their roles in society,” Morris said.

Those inducted will have support from faculty and successful upperclassmen as well as from Delarosa and Morris. The induction ceremony will be Feb. 5 at 5 p.m. in the Maloney Room in Main Building.