Student group promotes Austin-wide food trailer movement

Food trailers are becoming more and more popular throughout town, and commemorative efforts have been made to maintain the food trailer culture Austin has grown to love.

One of those efforts has been made with the creation of Food Trailer Fanatics, a campus organization that celebrates everything about the food trailers in town.

I think it’s awesome to see this revolution of food trailers growing, especially from young people, because it’s a cool hip way to spread the love of food from place to place. Not only is trailer food usually less expensive than restaurant or brick and mortar food, but it allows for a unique meal.” junior Amanda Hoang said.

Hoang, who worked at Izzoz Tacos, now called Melizzoz Tacos, said she remembers how people were always so happy to get things out of food trucks and trailers.

“With food trailers, chances are there will be other food trailers located around each other meaning you can snack from one to another without digging a hole in your wallet,” Hoang said.

The group meets at food trucks to bond over a passion of food, and the last event that the group participated in was Trailer Food Tuesdays.

Trailer Food Tuesdays, another effort that has born of this craze, takes place the last Tuesday of the month from 5 to 9 p.m.  

“I had an idea of putting a whole bunch of trailers together, something similar to Gypsy Picnic but something that happened more frequently than that. Finally, I got in contact with Kristen Stacy, who owns The Seedling Truck, and ‘Trailer Food Diaries Cookbook’ author Tiffany Harelik to make it happen,” said co-founder Eric Silverstein, who owns the Peached Tortilla and Yumé Burger trucks.  

Silverstein said the group started meeting in April to discuss details and then started working with the Long Center, where they established a five-month-long contract allowing them to hold a monthly event.

The group also got in touch with c3 Presents, a local business in Austin, who said they would produce the event.

The free event aims to alleviate some of the frustration that stems from not being able to track certain trucks and trailers down. It also works to provide a scenic venue where there is a view of downtown Austin in the background.

I think that’s a great way to get vendors out there and noticed by the public. I know that there are tons and tons of vendors out there in Austin but I only know a fraction of them because they are in so many different locations. Plus it’s a great way to see which ones are your favorites and which ones you don’t really like,” sophomore Erika Marquez said.

Trailer Food Tuesdays will be an ongoing monthly event. Although they plan on skipping the colder winter months, the founders hope that this will become a tradition Austin gets to continue for some time.

“Food trucks just add to the whole experience of Austin. It doesn’t get better than this,” freshman Clair Daly said.