SEU reaching far east

St. Edward’s University is again expanding its global reach, this time with a university that brings students from all over the world to engage in a global academic experience.

St. Edward’s has established an agreement with Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University in Beppu, Japan, a university opened in 2000 and host to students from across Asia, Africa, the Middle East and other countries. Students from St. Edward’s will be able to study at APU and transfer their financial aid to the university’s tuition. Students from APU can also study at St. Edward’s as part of a reciprocal exchange that will begin in the fall semester of next year.

Unlike at other universities across the globe, classes at APU are taught primarily in English.

“You can be in a classroom with APU students from around Asia, taking courses in English, taking classes like any APU student,” said Tom Evans, associate vice president for Professional Education and Global Initiatives.

Evans said it is a rare experience because students can study in a foreign country and not have to be proficient in a foreign language, but still get the full university experience.

“It is a rare and good opportunity for students to truly have a study abroad experience,” Evans said. “Students feel like a part of the university as opposed to separated in English speaking classrooms.”

Professor Cecil Lawson, who started the Japanese Language and Culture classes in 1988, is one of the professors teaching Swords, Silk and Silicon. Since the beginning of the program, there are only four language courses and one culture class.

“Currently, SEU does not have a ‘global’ perspective if the majority of the world’s population is ignored,” Lawson said. “APU brings SEU students to Asia for not only a Japanese experience, but an Asian experience.”

However, Lawson said this new relationship with APU is a step in the right direction. He said APU gives students interested in Japanese and Chinese culture and language an experience that classes at St. Edward’s cannot give them.

“Connecting with APU will allow students who are truly interested in studying Japanese, and Chinese as well, to actually learn Japanese language and culture since our Japanese and Chinese classes here only introduce students to these languages,” Lawson said. “It will allow students who are interested in learning about doing business in Asia an actual opportunity to live in Asia and study how business is done.  It demonstrates that SEU will not ignore the elephant in the room.”

Students from APU will also be able to study at St. Edward’s, which Evans said is beneficial to campus life.

“When you have a reciprocal exchange, you plant a seed,” Evans said. “St. Edward’s will also have the opportunity to receive students from APU, helping the university internationalize its student body and bring new perspectives into the classrooms on campus in Austin.”

St. Edward’s students studying abroad at APU will not only experience Japanese culture, but they will also interact from students from around the world.

“Classes at APU are comprised of students from Korea, Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, China, Taiwan, Philippines, Australia and numerous other Pacific Rim nations – even Africa,” Lawson said. “It is like a mini-UN.”