SXSW accepting volunteers for ’11

South by Southwest, Austin’s film, music and interactive festival coincides with St. Edward’s University’s spring break. But while some students are yearning to attend during their break, many cannot afford the high prices of a badge.

Yet some savvy students have discovered a secret: an easy way to enjoy the festivities without breaking the bank is to volunteer.

The main job of volunteers is to “welcome the international community of artists and industry professionals to Austin and to South by Southwest,” according to the SXSW volunteer website.

SXSW hires more than 2,000 volunteers, who may work in the Austin Convention Center, the film and music venues, or other locations around town.

There are two types of volunteers: conference volunteers and music production volunteers. Conference volunteers work at the Austin Convention Center and other venues around town, including theaters and parties, while music production volunteers work at clubs, on the streets and behind the scenes at showcases.

With nearly 40 different conference crews, conference volunteers can participate in everything from transportation to photography to registration.

Volunteering may be seen by some as a good idea. To others, volunteering is necessary to pass a class. Associate Professor Tere Garza requires students in her Communication and Pop Culture course to offer their services as a volunteer at the festival for a minimum of 40 hours.

“By volunteering, students become an essential part of the conference community, ensuring that the conference functions as professionally and as smoothly as possible.,” Garza said. “In exchange, they are able to participate in various events and gain valuable knowledge as well as experience.”

Garza said that volunteering at the festival will be a learning experience for students that will help them in their careers.

“Attending conferences and conventions is a requirement for most professionals, entrepreneurs, as well as academics,” she said. “Students have the opportunity to increase their global understanding by learning about international music, film and emerging technologies. They also have opportunities to engage in an exchange of ideas with local, national and international artists, conference attendees, and a diverse group of (SXSW) volunteers.”

Sophomore Caroline Eck, who previously volunteered, said she enjoyed her experience.

“I saw a bunch of free shows,” she said. “I met a lot of new people and made some good friends. I even saw Jonah Hill and Bill Murray.”

The application process is simple. A person just has to visit the Volunteer Online Information Database and create a volunteer record. Later, a volunteer will need to attend one of two volunteer calls in January in order to sign up for a schedule. Volunteers must be able to work a minimum of 30 hours or 3 shifts during the event, depending on their crew type.

When a conference volunteer works for more than 30 hours, they begin to receive perks such as a T-shirt.

If a person volunteers 50 hours, they receive a film badge (which allows access to SXSW film events), an interactive badge (which allows access to interactive panels and speeches) or a music wristband.

Working for 60 hours guarantees a person a gold badge, which grants access to all SXSW film and interactive events, or a music badge, which grants access to all SXSW music events.

Returning volunteers are allowed to work 80 hours to receive a platinum badge.

SXSW began to accept applications on Nov. 1. To apply, visit their website at volunteer.sxsw.com/apply.