SGA can’t spend money until CFO picked

The Student Government Association cannot spend any money until they find a new chief financial officer, Chief of Staff Kyle Thomas said.

The position has been vacant since Carlos Martinez resigned to became a senator on Dec. 3. Three other cabinet vacancies include: internal affairs, external affairs and service director.

Thomas said SGA will conduct interviews today. Once President Jonathan Cruz nominates four people to the empty positions, the senate must confirm them, and swear them in, possibly at the next formal meeting on Feb. 4.

Other hot topics at Thursday’s meeting included: general education course revising; emergency-preparedness; as well as three passed resolutions focusing on religious-accommodation absence policies; reflective paint at speed bumps; and revamping the outdoor basketball court.

Legislative Report

SGA Vice President Jonathan Edwards said the next formal senate meeting will be a consultation to provide student-represented feedback on cultural foundations classes.

This is an early step in revising the current general education courses. Edwards instructs senators to be honest about students’ CULF ideas and concerns, mentioning that any student present can also voice their opinions.

Edwards announced he will be serving on the committee in charge of hiring a new university police chief to focus on emergency preparedness, including gun violence and terrorism.

“It’s very important, I think, that whoever we bring to run the armed dimension of this campus, or the people that we set in policy to make our students safer, that they fit in with the Holy Cross, mission-based social justice framework that we all aware of on our university,” Edwards said.

Moreover, senators have until Apr. 21 to create at least one piece of meaningful legislation benefiting students.

Legislation

Sen. Kennedy Namis opened discussion of a Religious Accommodation Policy across campus.

“Most teachers will allow you to miss class, but you need to talk to them within the first two weeks of school,” Namis said, explaining that professors are not required under official policy to excuse religious-affiliated absences.

Edwards offered to voice the topic at the next Faculty Senate meeting, in hopes of possibly creating a unified policy.

Sen. Greg Reck suggested for professors to include religious accommodation policies into their syllabi, while Sen. Ruby Leon suggested students be informed at orientation.

Accepted through first passage, Namis can now clarify policy details of Senate Resolution No. 16 “No One Told Me” before trying for final passage.

Furthermore, Sen. Ben Griffith’s resolution “Soften the Bumps in the Road,” has been approved by Associate Vice President for Facilities Michael Peterson. This agreement will bring reflective tape/reflective paint or reflector squares on campus speed bumps to improve commuter safety.

Griffith shared that Peterson said this project will have to wait until the summer when less people are on campus. Facilities will fund and complete this project before the fall semester starts.

Additionally, Sen. Janelle Nacpil’s resolution “Project Clean Up” was confirmed by Building Maintenance Supervisor Gary Wayne Morton, who will clean and repaint the basketball court outside the Teresa and East residence halls.

Nacpil planned this upcoming clean up as a community service project for The Big Event, but Building Maintence beat her to it. Nacpil will monitor the progress and wants to possibly provide a basketball net.

On a final note, all senate positions are now filled, as Secretary of Senate Jade Patterson and Sen. Oliver Guerra were officially inducted.