Author of “Remarkable Creatures” talks science

The author of “Remarkable Creatures,” a book that depicts the development of the theories of evolution, shared his theories and discussed his book at St. Edward’s University Oct. 13. The event featuring Sean B. Carroll was co-sponsored by the university’s Freshman Studies and University Programs. Annually, an author from a shared text assigned to all freshmen visits to speak at the university.

This year’s Freshman Studies theme was Humanity of Science, in honor of the university’s new School of Natural Science. 

“I was very excited when I was informed that the author from the freshman studies summer reading book was coming to St. Edward’s to discuss his work with us,” said freshman Emma Metcalf.

During his presentation, Carroll outlined his research, sharing the facts and history surrounding evolution and acquainting students with three of the greatest naturalists that helped create and shape the concept of evolution: Darwin, Bates and Wallace.

Carroll’s use of multimedia, including a presentation that portrayed film, sounds and pictures, during his discussion went a step above the speakers of the past two years, Jeanette Walls and John Bul Dau, who did not use the presentational techniques.

Hannah LeBrun, a freshman, said the multimedia component kept her particularly engaged in his discussion.

“Remarkable Creatures,” published in 2009, was selected by the university for the freshmen to read this year with the aim to provide students with a new approach towards the world of science. The book focuses on the topic of evolution, but incorporates other large leaps in science through heroic and devoted scientific journeys. The book attempts to engage the reader in the expedition of adventurers, scientists and naturalists through storytelling.

In addition, the book is currently a finalist for the National Book Award.Neda Khozein, also a freshman, said she enjoyed reading the book and how easily understandable the information was presented.

“Since reading the book, I’m more educated and informed about evolution,” she said.

The openness and acceptance of St. Edward’s to ideas on evolution, despite the university’s Catholic heritage, was not surprising to Carroll. 

“I went to a Catholic high school,” he said.  “Catholic schools have been teaching evolution for a longtime, I wasn’t even aware of a fuss until I graduated high school. The media has done a terrible job of depicting religion against science. I wasn’t very surprised when St. Edward’s picked my book, I was honored to come.”

Carroll said he has also recently visited other universities with religious backgrounds, such as Southern Methodist University and Texas Christian University.

Carroll is a professor of Molecular Biology and Genetics at the University of Wisconsin. His research, which focuses on animal genetics and the relationship and impact it has in evolution, has won various prestigious awards. He has been acknowledged and featured in publications like Time Magazine, U.S. News & World Report, The New York Times, Discover and Natural History.

Carroll also has a recurring monthly column for the Science Times section of The New York Times, entitled “Remarkable Creatures,” in which he discusses the intriguing species that inhabit the world and the noteworthy scientists who have discovered them.