Ever-rising population and property values affect affordability

Every week the editorial board reflects on a current issue in Our View. The position taken does not reflect the opinions of everyone on the Hilltop Views staff.

From 2000 to 2010, Austin’s population increased by nearly 134,000, according to the City of Austin Demographic profile.

Almost 23,000 people moved into the city last year. While Austin businesses experience many economic benefits from the population boom, its long-time residents and lower income neighborhoods are suffering.

Yuppies, college kids, yoga teachers and vegans alike are flocking to Austin. Newcomers gawk over ACL, shops on South Congress, the multi-level Whole Foods, and Sixth Street. Austin’s reputation alone draws many new residents.

Because there are a high number of demands for homes and apartments in the city, property values are soaring. At a first glance, high property values would seem to benefit long-time homeowners, as they can sell their houses for higher prices.

But consider the rising property taxes for those who don’t want to move.

Many people can’t afford to keep up with the ever-rising property taxes on houses and apartments in the city. Hundreds that can’t pay the taxes have been displaced, forced to sell their homes and move out of the city.

This phenomena is particularly common in east Austin, where developers seem to focus their obsession over creating another entertainment district. Eleventh and 12th St. are perhaps the most targeted.

Because students unintendedly contribute to Austin’s gentrification problem by adding to the population, it is our responsibility to help lessen the blows.

One way we can do this is by voting for government action like the 2005 Homestead Preservation Act. This law provided the city the means to “preserve housing affordability in Central East Austin,” according to Susana Almanza, executive director and cofounder of People Organized in Defense of the Earth and her Resources, a local organization that promotes environmental and social justice.

Some might disagree because they, understandably, want less people coming into Austin. However, this affects us too. Think about the problems with housing on campus. Imagine that on the macrolevel. Students who cannot get housing on campus always have the option of moving off.

Typically, it is actually less expensive to live off campus; most live on campus for the convenience.

Now imagine not getting a spot in a dorm, or an apartment and having to search off campus. If housing prices are not reduced, students might be forced to pay tuition-like prices for apartments they use only to go to school.

Obviously, this is a giant problem. More importantly, it is a problem for you. So, what is more effective than advocating? Action.

What can you do to save your wallet? Register to vote and then proceed to vote. In order to hear your voice, Austin needs your vote.