Freshman transfer Loydrake leads charge for Hilltoppers

Loydrake scored 22 points per game from Jan. 13-19. 

For the first time in her career on the Hilltop, Lady Hilltopper guard Mileka Loydrake was awarded Heartland Conference Player of the Week for the week of Jan. 13 – 19.

“It feels great to receive the award. Not only for myself but also for our program,” said Loydrake. “I’m glad we’re finally getting recognized for our hard work, this is only the beginning.”

As conference play comes to a close for the women’s basketball team, Loydrake’s performances on the court are only improving. She led the team with an impressive 19 points against Lubbock Christian, the only team yet to be defeated in conference. In the same game, the League City native also tallied 10 rebounds, shooting better than 53% from the field and earning three assists.

The redshirt freshman averaged an impressive 22 points and 6.5 rebounds for the week, while shooting over 50% from the floor and 94% from the line. She also led the scoring with 25 points in 36 minutes against defending Heartland Conference champions UT-Permian Basin in her team’s overtime win.

After transferring to St. Edward’s from the University of Houston last semester, Loydrake has been patient in waiting to take her chance on the court.

“As a transfer from the University of Houston the few games and experiences I have under my belt have helped me quite a bit in my transition to St. Ed’s. The most challenging obstacle has been being patient,” Loydrake said. “It’s a long season with a ton of basketball to be played. I like to think of it as a marathon instead of a sprint.”

While the Lady Hilltoppers began the season with a record-breaking start, they have since fallen to St. Mary’s, Roger’s State, and Lubbock Christian. Loydrake, however, realizes that the recent dip is only temporary and that her teammates are still motivated for a winning season.

“Like any team our season has had its ups and downs. We made history early by jumping out to a 10-1 start,” Loydrake said. “Winning conference is at the top of everyone’s list and remains the goal for us if we continue to work hard, stay together and play to the best of our ability.”

Though the team has suffered a few defeats in the past weeks, Head Coach J.J. Riehl, has been impressed with her guard’s recent performances.

“Mel has picked up her game since returning from our break over Christmas,” Riehl said. “She is starting to figure things out with regard to her own game, but also what we are trying to do systematically.”

Riehl explains that Loydrake’s overall athleticism along with her work ethic is what helps make her so successful in the court, which is something that has been missing from the team in previous years.

“The biggest attribute Mel’s provided is her outward display of passion and intensity. She’s so passionate and alive on the floor and everyone feeds off of that,” Riehl said. “For a freshman, it’s rare that Mel is calm, cool and collected, but on the flip side has a swag about her.”

With many games still ahead, Loydrake hopes to end the season on a high note, as a team and as an individual.

“My personal goals for the rest of this season are to do whatever it takes for my team to win,” said Loydrake. “When we win conference, and maximize our potential I will have reached my personal goals.”