Men’s soccer gains Brit on the pitch

Andy Fox, a native of Cambridge, England, came to St. Edward’s to play varsity soccer for the Hilltoppers.

Cambridge, England native Andrew Fox is a sophomore soccer player and has notched seven goals and two assists so far this season. He also earned the Heartland Conference Offensive Player of the Week honor for his play during the week of Oct. 1-7. Soccer is his life, but he says he has his family to thank for how far he has come. After seeing much of Texas and some of the rest of the United States, Fox is content that he chose Austin as the place to pursue his passion.

After completing your freshman and part of your sophomore year, have you adjusted to American culture? What are the biggest differences between here and home?

Yeah, I would say I am settled in now. The biggest differences I would say would be the heat, the sense of humor and the dress sense. They all take a bit of getting used to.

As a midfielder, do you prefer the offensive aspect of your position or the defensive aspect?

The offensive side of it. I love to score goals; it is my favorite part of the game.

After scoring, how do you celebrate?

I usually just celebrate with all the boys. I leave the memorable celebrations to Danny Riley. He is the creative lad on the team.

How does your family feel about you going to school and playing soccer so far away?

They are happy about it and pleased that I am doing something exciting with my life.

What is it like coming from a culture where soccer is a huge part of society to the United States, where soccer is not a huge part of society?

It is a bit sad because I miss the football culture back home; everyone is so passionate about it in England. However, it has made me watch American sports more, and I am now a fan of basketball and American football. Not so much baseball.

What made you decided to come to St. Edward’s?

The coaches are very ambitious, and the city is excellent.

What is your favorite part of Austin?

I like the hill country. There are some nice sights and some fun things to do. I had a day out on a boat on Lake Travis last semester, and that was really good.

Where have you been in the United States? What is your view on what you have seen of the country?

I have been all over Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma and Colorado for games. When I was younger, I went to California, New York and Las Vegas. I am really pleased I ended up in Austin. After seeing different areas of Texas, I know now that Austin is much better than most places.

When and why did you originally start playing soccer?

As soon as I could walk. It is what every boy in England does when he is young. It is a national pastime.

Who was your role model in sports as a child?

Steven Gerrard and David Beckham were my role models. They are both English players I grew up watching and have both been captains for the English team. Gerrard is also Liverpool’s captain, and Liverpool is the team I support.

How do you prefer to take players on in a one-on-one situation?

I try to get to top speed as quickly as possible and move to one side of the defender at the last minute so it is difficult for him to read and make a tackle.

After St. Edward’s, where do you see yourself?

Hopefully playing soccer professionally somewhere. We will see if I get any opportunities in the future.