British TV series features bumbling teens, awkward situations

Weekly ‘Flix Fix takes the legwork out of wading through thousands of film choices on Netflix, bringing you the most truly bizarre, quirky and outright amazing gems instant streaming has to offer.

Adolescence is a time in a person’s life filled with new experiences, exciting discoveries and wonderful new feelings. However, more often than not, adolescence is remembered as the worst, most hilariously awkward time in anyone’s young life. No series to date has better exemplified this than “The Inbetweeners.”

Originally created for the British channel E4, “The Inbetweeners” became an instant success in the UK with its brutally embarrassing and surprisingly accurate portrayal of British teenage life.

The series follows formerly-posh secondary school student Will McKenzie (played by the hysterical Simon Bird). Will’s parents’ recent divorce has forced him to attend the rather uncouth Rudge Park Comprehensive, where the school’s student body are quick to label him “Briefcase Wanker.”

However, the students’ insults are the least of Will’s worries as the school bully sets his sights on the poor lad. Whilst hiding from the bully’s gang in the bathroom, Will happens upon a group of misfits who are, somehow, lamer then he is. The group includes Simon Cooper, an awkwardly charming young lad with a futile crush on the most popular girl in school; Jay Cartwright, a profane, sex-obsessed boy whose numerous stories of sexual triumph are questionable to say the least; and lastly, Niall Sutherland, the tall dimwit of the group who gets emotional any time he cannot use the bathroom.

The series is without a doubt one of the funniest shows Netflix has to offer. The four “Inbetweeners” have near-perfect chemistry, portraying a seemingly unbreakable high school friendship so perfectly that the audience begins to feel like a member of the group themselves, which is not always a good thing.

What separates “The Inbetweeners” from other British teen dramas, such as “Skins,” is its ability to expertly blend comedy and drama. The series showcases broken family life, substance abuse and unrequited love accurately while still managing to stay laugh-out-loud funny.

The show leaves little to the imagination as failed sexual encounters, incredibly crass dialogue and confused drug use go largely uncensored. Basically, the show is everyone’s high school experience in a nutshell.

Of the many coming of age titles on Netflix, “The Inbetweeners” is by far the best. No other series so perfectly captures the wretched awkwardness that is the teen years. Perhaps one of the things that has made the show so endearing is the actors’ ability to expertly depict the vulnerability that we have all felt while trying to find our place in the world.